For a Tropical Tank Set up you will need an aquarium, filter heater and air pump if necessary
- Fill the tank with tap water and dechlorinate
- Bring the tank up to the temperature required
- It is best to add a small group if fish to start with. This is to allow the tank to mature. The filter will take around 2 months to mature and during this time there can be surges in ammonia and nitrates. The more fish added early on the more likely these surges are and the harder they will be to control. If you do get a high level of ammonia or nitrate then a partial water changeis the quickest solution to help the fish. Added bacteria can be out in the tank to hep the filter mature more quickly.
- After 2-3 weeks another group of fish can be added and this can continue until your tank is stocked.
- It is a good idea during this time to do regular water changes and and to keep on eye on water parameters.
- Do not be tempted to fully stock your tank too early; high levels of ammonia and nitrates can cause numerous problems for your fish.
- The most likely would be bacterial infection due to the high ammonia levels burning the fish causing fin rot and fungus.
- Always dechlorinate during water changes
- Be sure to research the fish your adding to your tank to check suitability and compatibility with other fish.
We stock around 12 varieties of freshwater fish and lots of accessories like pond pumps and filters as well as feeds and everything you will need read more
At Harvey’s we stock a huge selection of Aquarium Cold Water fish, Orandas and Fantails as well as the more unusual and all the accessories you will ever need read more
Jenny - Sedgley
" First visit to Harvey's Aquatics, didn't know they were there tucked away!!! Fantastic help, very friendly and helped me choose some plants for my pond. I'll definitely be back again. Cheers Dave 🙂 "
Lauren - Wednesbury
" Dave is really friendly, lovely shop great service, really reasonably priced, took my 3 and 4 year old boys with me who loved Harvey and Theo. Have already recommended to my Aunty who is going to pop in, and would definitely recommend to others too "
"Gave me all the info and help to get my tank set up ready for me going back the weekend to buy the 1st of our fish. So much of a better experience than going to the bigger chain shops, has a great selection of fish and equipment 100% recommended 👍🏼"
©2020 Harvey’s Aquatics & Aquarium Supplies West Midlands | Aquatics Specialists
Licence number 201838863 issued by Dudley Metropolitan Council- Rated 5 stars